Thursday, June 9, 2011

CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (1972) TV Spot


Here's a long (60 second) TV spot from 1972 for Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes, my favorite of the later Apes sequels (although I like them all - even Battle). I know I'm just an old curmudgeon, but this still looks vastly better to me than the mo-cap CGI "reimagining" that's due out later this Summer - and I don't think it's just nostalgia. The underlying themes of the original films - especially this one - are so much deeper than Rise's apparent "animal testing is bad" message.

Now, maybe Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes will surprise me, and have more to offer than just a bunch of cartoon gorillas attacking people in a sort of simian take on The Birds - but so far, anyway, the trailers haven't indicated much else. From the trailers to date, it looks mostly like a 50s mad scientist flick crossed with When Animals Attack....

6 comments:

  1. "In the year 1991..."

    I love it when science-fiction movies put dates to their movies -- it's always too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conquest is one of the most interesting of the series. I still feel, though, that it happened too soon after "Escape" time-wise. They went from small normal apes to the larger evolved bodies in just a relative few short years (unless there was some unseen genetic manipulation going on by some secret group). Of course, the time line was to keep Milo...er, Caesar in it with a link to "Escape." I also liked the original harsher ending seen on the Blue Ray disc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've always assumed that there was some genetic tampering involved -- and the new apes movie (as well as Burton's) involve those plot points to clear up the issues. I was always confused on the Milo-Caesar thing too, until I realized that he picked his own name from the Governor's dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Montalban does mouth the name "Milo" when they arrive at the city, but it was dubbed "Caesar" for release. I guess they thought no one would remember Zira named him Milo. Conquest shows a very creepy world that happened in less than 20 years (after Escape).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classics...the originals were fantastic. Most contemporary sci-fi films rely far to heavily on CGI...imo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. strange story - independently and without knowing it happened, my brother and I used Caesar's "smoke/fire" speech as an intro to an original song. an awesome performance by Rod.

    ReplyDelete