Wednesday, June 15, 2011

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978) Theatrical Posters

Without question, the scariest sci-fi film I saw in the 1970s was Phillip Kaufman's remake of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (I didn't see Alien until a few years later on home video). I had seen the original Fifties version of the film one Halloween on late night TV, and while that classic had definitely unnerved me, it didn't scare me, so I figured I could handle the new version.

Somehow - I really cannot recall how I pulled it off - I persuaded my folks to let me go see the PG-rated thriller in the theater by myself. What a trip. Creepy, suspenseful and chock full of gross alien "pod" effects, several times during that viewing I wondered just what I had gotten myself into -- but then Brooke Adams showed up naked, and then the only thing I was scared of was somebody coming in and dragging me out of the theater. Surely, 14 year-olds weren't allowed to see boobies! (But, in 70s, we were. Isn't that cool?)

Director Phillip Kaufman had been signed to direct the first Star Trek feature film, once Paramount decided they didn't want a new Trek TV series after all. But after months of waiting for Gene Roddenberry to turn in a script that met approval from the studio, Kaufman finally left the project and made Body Snatchers instead - and took Leonard Nimoy with him. Nimoy was great in the movie, as was the aforementioned Brooke Adams, Donald Sutherland and Veronica Cartwright (who would have a different kind of Alien encounter the next year, poor thing).

Anyway, here's a selection of some of the campaign art created by United Artists for the film's original theatrical release. Enjoy.

11 comments:

  1. This is definitely an example where the remake may have outdone the original -- and it's my personal favorite. You could say that it's a sequel of sorts, since the great Kevin McCarthy shows up as a crazy man screaming in the street (a tribute to the ending of the original). Although dated in appearance, this 70's version really ramped-up the fear factor and gore with the alien pods. And Leonard Nimoy's performance brings legitimacy to the film. Really, everyone does a great job -- from Donald Sutherland to Jeff Goldbloom. The sound effects alone are enough to freak out any kid in a dark theater, but the pod people "scream" is well remembered among fans. This movie was followed up by the low budget "Body Snatchers" in the 90's, but it too had a downer ending (although it could be seen as an official sequel to the 70's version). We didn't get a happy ending until Nicole Kidman showed up in "The Invasion" (re-imagining) a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great film, and one I haven't re-watched in years. It benefits from a top-tier cast (Nimoy, Sutherland, Brooke Adams) and a fine director.
    The first two poster are fantastic, understated and with great design sense, with the double images indicating the duplicating nature of the space pods. The rest of the posters are totally generic that just go for the gross-out. The fourth poster in particular looks like something from a 50's SF film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of that 90's "Body Snatchers". I like to see all versions of something that interests me so I will seek it out. Thanks for pointing it out. I'd watch it today if the typical video rental place wasn't so lame, catering mainly to new releases. Haven't tried the "netflix" thing because last time I looked through their menu it seemed quite limited.
    Anyway, this post has inspired me to watch the first two movies again.
    Keep up the great work Christopher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 90's version has the ever-lovely Gabrielle Anwar in it and is mostly set on a military base. But it's still worth watching, despite some flaws. It is definitely related to the 70's version in look and feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was all the rage at my school for weeks. It was a pretty darned good film. The top notch cast surely was responsible. For the era it had pretty good effects without being an "effects movie".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had seen this with my parents at the cinema, and while it was creepy & pretty effective, I remember being disappointed by the downer ending. Having seen the original just a year before may have tainted MY viewpoint, but I remember actually hearing several audience members groan aloud, so I guess I wasn't alone. Looking back as an adult, I can see that the remake was definitely geared to the cynicism of the day, but in retrospect may actually have been a bit more realistic if such an alien invasion were actually to occur.

    SORT-OF A SPOILER WARNING: Thinking about it a little more, I think it was the long, drawn out 'gotcha' ending that made the ending disappointing; it felt a little over the top compared to the tight pacing and cleverness that the rest of the film had. END SPOILER.

    CR

    ReplyDelete
  7. As stated in the opening credits of the 1956 movie, this was originally a serial by Jack Finney appearing in Collier's Magazine(1954). Novelized in 1955.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought of it as a downer ending. My feeling at the time was that, given the circumstances, it seemed the most likely outcome. I don't function well without plenty of sleep, so I absolutely felt the reality of the inevitability of that happening. For me, a complete suspension of disbelief! Still spooks me a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spoiler warning: I really felt scared for Donald Sutherland's character throughout the film. He brought realism to the shock, confusion and terror that Matthew Bennell felt as the world was being taken over. His initial confusion when on the phone with the police was well played -- he just couldn't believe what was happening. And then there was the sad terror he displayed when he told Nimoy: "David, you're killing me." It was heart-wrenching (Nimoy's cool, logical speech from the invader's point of view was awesome). What really gets you is when Brook rots in his arms while he's crying over her. And in the end, he strikes a blow to the invaders, which makes you excited for him, but he ultimately pays the final price for it. It's truly a terrifying movie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude, I swear we were separated at birth! I saw this movie by myself as well. I think we are around the same age. I sat right in the middle of the theater and I think there were maybe 2-3 people in the very back. What a trip! As I dig through older posts, I'm expecting to find something about Laser Blast and Prophecy too... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Showed it to my 9 year old for the first time. She loved it.

    ReplyDelete