Monday, April 9, 2012

Captain's bLog: 0409.12

  Wow. I have no idea where the winter went. I have no good excuses for my lack of posting over the last couple of months. For whatever reasons, other things were demanding my attentions, and Space: 1970 was unfortunately neglected. In any case, I'm planning to get back to regular updates immediately, and for those who stuck around during the drought, I appreciate your patience. 

  Obit: I want to comment on the passing of Ralph McQuarrie last month. As the concept artist for Star Wars, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek: Phase 2/Star Trek - The Motion Picture, it could be fairly said, I think, that he defined for many of us the "look" of Seventies sci-fi. Hell, his rejected Viper designs for Galactica ended up being used on Buck Rogers, so his influence even extended directly into that series as well.

R.I.P. Mr. McQuarrie... and thanks.

  On sale this week in the U.S. is the official DVD release of the 1977 Logan's Run television series. The 3-DVD set, containing all 14 episodes (including the feature-length pilot episode), is priced at $39.98 SRP. No extras have been announced.

Obviously, I'm a big fan of the series, which starred Gregory Harrison, Heather Menzies and Donald Moffat, and am eager to get my hands on this set on Tuesday. Personally, I'm going to try and pick it up at my favorite video dealer, but if you can't find it close to home, Amazon is currently offering it at around $27 bucks. Logan's Run: Complete Series

   Stats: Even without regular updates, traffic remained reasonably steady here at Space: 1970 over the last two months, and it appears some new Star Kids have joined the Alliance. We're up to nearly 400 followers here on Blogger, and the Facebook Fan Page currently boasts 865 "Likes." I genuinely appreciate the support! I also want to thank every person who has used the Amazon links on this site to make purchases of vintage sci-fi on DVD/Blu-ray (and the few who've made Paypal donations - if you'd like to contribute, there's a link in the right-hand sidebar). Every little bit helps.

  Shameless Self-Promotion: Anyone who enjoys my writing and reviews on this site should check out my DVD Late Show site, where I have been reviewing B-movies, cult films and genre television shows on DVD and Blu-ray disc since 2005. Among the over 700 reviews are plenty of Space: 1970-era favorites, like Battle Beyond The Stars, Damnation Alley, Starcrash, The Starlost, the Space: 1999 Blu-rays, and many more.

That's it for now. April's Space Babe will be posted shortly....

6 comments:

  1. This site is awesome, so it's nice to hear the traffic is still strong. I didn't even know you had a Facebook page! BTW, you got a versatile blogger award from my blog! Head over to pick it up.
    http://filmsketchr.blogspot.com/2012/04/explore-wooden-planet-of-alien-3-and-my.html
    - Maurice Mitchell
    The Geek Twins
    @thegeektwins | @mauricem1972

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up Logan's Run yesterday(Canada). Good stuff. I've been wanting to see this show again since it first aired on TV(I can't believe it's been 35 years). It's about fracking time!
    I check this site every time I'm online. Keep up the good work Christopher. More posts please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ralph McQuarrie was my personal favorite artist. His work inspired me immensely as a child and played a major role in my decision to attend art school and become an illustrator. One of the most dissapointing things for me about the Star Wars prequels was the lack of McQuarrie's presence in the design work. His contributions to the look and feel of the original films cannot be understated. Star Wars just simply would not have worked as well without him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No sign of April's 'Space Babe' yet. Chris, have you found some long lost Maren Jensen bikini shots and you're holding out on us?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I'm so far behind, there won't be an April Space Babe. I will have one at the beginning of May, though. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dare I suggest another Space 1970 poll, Chris? Our favourite Space Babes. Basically an excuse for more pics of Maren Jensen and Erin Gray

    ReplyDelete