Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Captain's bLog: 0612:13

Not a lot new to report here; still buried in my comics writing commitments (including the Perils On Planet X webcomic), and still trying to carve out some time to finish up some longer posts. So, in short... new stuff on the way; stay tuned.

It's possible that I'm simply not looking in the right places or that my Google-fu isn't as strong as I think, but I've been trying unsuccessfully to find a complete list of the Space: 1999 paperbacks published in the U.S. by Pocket Books (Year 1) and Warner Books (Year 2) online. Now that I have a (nearly) complete set of Battlestar Galactica (I'm still missing one volume - haven't found an affordable copy of # 9 yet) and Man From Atlantis novels, I'm now concentrating on filling in the gaps of my Space: 1999 library.

I'm not particularly interested in the Powys Media re-issues, or any modern/new novels; at the moment, I'm focusing on the 70s U.S. volumes. If anyone can direct me to a complete list, I'd appreciate it.

  So... Best Buy didn't cancel my order properly (despite the fact that I cancelled it a full ten days before I received notification that it had shipped), and I frankly don't trust them to correctly refund my money if I try to return it, so I've got an extra copy of the Battlestar Galactica Blu-ray on my desk. Now I have to figure out what to do with it. Hmmmmm....

  The Space: 1970 blog has seen huge amounts of traffic lately, due mostly to my post on that unused Star Wars poster art, which garnered links from a number of high-profile sci-fi fansites and on Reddit. The Star Wars Burger Chef commercial has proven popular, too. I only hope that some of these new visitors take a few minutes to explore the rest of the blog and maybe become regular followers. In related news, the Space: 1970 Facebook page now has nearly 1400 "Likes." Cool! The more Star Kids, the better!

•  Blatant Cross-Promotion: I want to remind you all again that my weekly sci-fantasy webcomic, Perils On Planet X, drawn by the talented Gene Gonazles, can be read for free at perilsonplanetx.com.  This serialized interplanetary swashbuckler has a new page posted every Friday, and chronicles the adventures of modern-day Earth astronaut Donovan Hawke, stranded on the lost planet of Xylos, hundreds of millions of years in the past. The story is packed with monsters, beautiful women and lots of Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers-styled thrills. I hope you'll check it out, bookmark it, and follow the comic each week.

Anyone who enjoys my writing and the reviews on this blog should check out my DVD Late Show site, where I have been reviewing B-movies, cult films and genre television shows on DVD and Blu-ray disc since 2005. Among the over 700 reviews on the site are plenty of Space: 1970-era favorites, like Battle Beyond The Stars, Damnation Alley, Starcrash, The Starlost, the Space: 1999 Blu-rays, and many more.

8 comments:

  1. How does this Wikipedia list compare to the info you have? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Space:_1999_books_and_other_media#1970s_novels_and_novelisations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Embarrassingly enough, it never occurred to me to check Wikipedia. Duh.

      Delete
  2. I went on the ISFB and searched in Series, it turned up the following list. I have no way of knowing if it's complete.

    Space 1999
    1 Breakaway (1975) by E. C. Tubb
    2 Moon Odyssey (1975) by Douglas R. Mason [only as by John Rankine ]
    3 The Space Guardians (1975) by Brian N. Ball [only as by Brian Ball ]
    4 Collision Course (1975) by E. C. Tubb
    5 Lunar Attack (1975) by Douglas R. Mason [only as by John Rankine ]
    6 Astral Quest (1975) by Douglas R. Mason [only as by John Rankine ]
    7 Alien Seed (1976) by E. C. Tubb
    8 Android Planet (1976) by Douglas R. Mason [only as by John Rankine ]
    9 Rogue Planet (1976) by E. C. Tubb
    10 Phoenix of Megaron (1976) by Douglas R. Mason [only as by John Rankine ]
    11 Earthfall (1977) by E. C. Tubb
    Resurrection (2002) by William Latham
    Earthbound (2003) [C] by E. C. Tubb
    Earthbound (2003) [SF] by E. C. Tubb
    The Exiles (2003) [SF] by E. C. Tubb
    The Face of Eden (2003) [SF] by E. C. Tubb
    The Forsaken (2003) by John Kenneth Muir
    Eternity Unbound (2005) by William Latham
    Survival (2005) by Brian N. Ball [only as by Brian Ball ]
    Shepherd Moon (2010) [A] by uncredited
    Omega (2010) by William Latham
    Alpha (2010) by William Latham
    Born for Adversity (2010) by David A. McIntee
    Space 1999 German Original Novels
    Mondstation 1999: Die Ewigen von Luna (1978) by H. W. Springer
    Mondstation 1999: Invasion der Esper (1978) by H. W. Springer
    Mondstation 1999: Der Stahlplanet (1978) by M. F. Thomas
    Mondstation 1999: Aktion Exodus (1978) by Kurt Brand
    Mondstation 1999: Das Andromeda Rätsel (1978) by H. W. Springer
    Mondstation 1999: Das Erbe der Roboter (1979) by H. W. Springer
    Space 1999 Year 2
    1 Planets of Peril (1977) by Michael Butterworth
    2 Mind-Breaks of Space (1977) by Michael Butterworth
    3 The Space-Jackers (1977) by Michael Butterworth
    4 The Psychomorph (1977) by Michael Butterworth
    5 The Time Fighters (1977) by Michael Butterworth
    6 The Edge of the Infinite (1977) by Michael Butterworth

    ReplyDelete

  3. Christopher here is a link to information and cover photos of these great original SPACE:1999 novels:
    http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/merc/vmnus.html

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've got all the info I need now. Don't know why I didn't dig this stuff up on my own...

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear your blog is doing well. I enjoy it and I check in regularly.

    Leave it to Best Buy to screw up your return for Galactica. Oh well - like you said, now you just have to figure out what to do with the other copy.

    I found a pile of the original Space:1999 novels about 2 years ago in my local thrift shop - I couldn't believe it! And they were all in incredible condition, for like $2 each! I scooped them all up and I'm storing them proudly on my bookshelf. I read a few of them many years ago - and they were very nice to read - like revisiting the episodes themselves, only hearing somebody else telling me what happened. They were actually very well written, and sometimes has some nice additional details that weren't in the episodes themselves. For instance, in Dragon's Domain, Commander Koenig orders the Dragon's ship to be destroyed at the end of the story, and an Eagle fires upon it, destroying it and preventing anybody else from getting caught in it's web in the future.

    I highly recommend these early novels to all fans of the series - they read quite quickly too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked up my copy of BG #9 on paperbackswap.com, they don't have any copies presently but you can add it to your wish list

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you got to the Catacombs site. It is the MOST AWESOME and complete 1999 location anywhere.. I still have all my Year 1 books. I tossed nearly all my Year 2 books. I lived on these things when television reception was SO terrible back in '75 and '76 and I could bearly tune in the station when it was on (I lived in a rural area..).

    LOVE THESE NOVELS.

    As for the Blu-Ray, I'd just post it on Amazon and eBay and recoup some cash.

    ReplyDelete