Wednesday, July 5, 2017

MESSAGE FROM SPACE: GALAXY WARS Graphic Novels (1979)

I haven't posted much about the Message From Space: Galaxy Wars television series, spun off from the Japanese feature of the same name, because until recently, I knew very little about it. I still don't have a lot of information about the series, but I know it was popular in Europe (especially France), and in English-speaking markets it was known as Space Ninja!

There was also a feature-length compilation/condensation, called Swords Of The Space Ark. I actually found and watched it on YouTube some months ago. It was fun, although it made little sense. The strongest connection to the original movie seemed to be the re-use of both miniatures and actual effects shots.

This artwork is from the cover of one of a pair of graphic novel adaptations, published in France by Dargaud in 1979 and 1980, written and illustrated by Pierre Frisano.

Thanks to August Ragone for the info!

3 comments:

  1. I remember seeing a feature-length version of the episodes on the old Christian Broadcasting Network (!) channel in the mid 80s that I taped most of. I believe it was titled "Message from Outer Space". I later bought a grey market compilation of the English-dubbed episodes off iOffer. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it just me, or does anyone looking at that picture on the bottom think Lister, Rimmer (minus the "H"), Cat & Kryten?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but I think Solo, Skywalker, Chewbacca, and R2D2.

      Delete